Vegan Kale and Potato Salad
Simple vegan kale potato salad
Perhaps you’re thinking that I just ruined a perfectly good potato salad by adding kale to it. My vegan kale potato salad will shock you with how delicious it is! In an effort to make sure that I am not kale crazy ,I
tested served this salad to numerous friends and family members recently. I’m super happy to report that everyone was pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoyed it. Most even dove in for seconds. I always love when there are leftovers for lunch the next day.
A perfect side dish for everyone, anytime
This vegan kale potato salad is sure to be a crowd pleaser. It goes great with so many things. Try it for your next potluck, picnic, BBQ or family dinner. I chose to use red potatoes because they are a bit hardier than russet and tend to stay together much better. The added bonus, no peeling required! I also make sure to de-stem my fresh kale. The stem is the bitter part and you don’t want it in your salad. It is super easy to rip off by hand. Then just give the leaves a rough chop. If you are in a real hurry, you can purchase a pre-chopped bag of organic kale at Trader Joe’s.
A kale tale
It’s no secret that I really like kale. And not the superficial, “well, it’s healthy”, so I force myself to eat it, either. Obviously, the health benefits are awesome though. My family knows that if I can add kale, chances are, I will. I am so glad that I chose to experiment with kale in potato salad when I created this, vegan kale potato salad! The addition of kale eliminates the need for raw onions, celery or carrots. The dressing makes the kale wilt ever so slightly, while still maintaining it’s delicious crunch for up to three days in your fridge.
Smoothies are also an easy way to get more green in your life. I throw kale or spinach in just about every smoothie and smoothie bowl I make. Some more favorite ways to serve greens in a fun and exciting way are Rainbow Salad and easy veggie rice bowls. Somewhere along the line kale became the punch line of numerous jokes. Jokes on you, kale is still king of the superfood collection.
Read more about kale and why you should eat it here: https://draxe.com/health-benefits-of-kale/
|Cook Time:||30 min|
|Prep Time:||10 min|
|Total Time:||40 min|
|Yield:||serves 4-6 people|
* 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
* 1/4 cup chopped chives
* Dressing Ingredients
* 1/2 cup vegan mayo
* juice from half of a lemon
* 3 tsp agave or maple syrup
* 1 tsp yellow mustard
* 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
* 1 tsp sweet pickle relish
* dash of vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
* 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp onion powder
* 1/4 tsp fresh or dried dill
* 1/8 tsp smoked or regular paprika
* salt and pepper to taste
2. Boil until fork tender
3. While potatoes are boiling prepare dressing
4. Place all dressing ingredients into a dressing shaker or jar with a well fitting lid
5. Shake until thoroughly combined (you can also use a bowl and a whisk)
6. Place dressing into the fridge until needed
7. Remove stems from washed kale and chop, set aside
8. Once potatoes are fork tender, drain and place in a bowl to cool
9. Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters, place back into a large bowl, lightly salt them
10. Add the chopped kale to the bowl of cooled potatoes and the dressing
11. Toss gently to combine
12. Top with chopped chives
13. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 days.