vegan double chocolate zucchini bread
Yum, vegan double chocolate zucchini bread!
Wondering what to do with all the zucchini your garden is producing or that you see at your local farmer’s market? Make vegan double chocolate zucchini bread, of course!
Whether you’re a fan of zucchini or not, this bread will satisfy your craving for chocolate any time of day. This vegan double chocolate zucchini bread makes an excellent breakfast, snack, lunch or even dessert. Of course, the chocolate chips make it even more decadent. My boys do not enjoy zucchini on it’s own. But, when I bake it into a quick bread they can’t get enough!
is Quick Bread really quick?
First, let’s define what makes a quick bread quick. Quick Bread is any bread that contains a leavening such as baking powder or baking soda that allows immediate baking once it is mixed.
So my answer would be, yes! However, nothing is quick enough if you are hungry. I love making quick breads, such as my vegan double chocolate zucchini bread and my vegan chocolate chip banana bread
Anyone that has ever made a yeast based dough knows that it takes skill and patience. I love my sourdough starter too, but it takes time and preparation. That’s the freedom that a quick bread lends, no patience required (other than the 50-60 min bake time).
Some more examples of quick breads are:
As you can see, they make terrific breakfasts, snacks, lunches or desserts. Typically sweet and made with a particular flavor composition in mind. You can feed a hungry crowd fast and easy. Or just yourself, not that I’ve ever done that. Unless, you count the “one slice for you, two for me” rule, that I occasionally implement.
Go make vegan double chocolate zucchini bread before summer is gone for 2018!
|Cook Time:||60 min|
|Prep Time:||15 min|
|Total Time:||75 min|
* 1/2 cup almond flour or brown rice flour
* 1/3 cup cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 Tbls ground flax or chia
* 6-8Tbls water
* 1/2 cup cane sugar
* 1 3/4-2 cups shredded zucchini, drained
* 1/2 cup vegan milk
* 1/2 cup maple syrup, agave, or coconut nectar
* 1/2 cup avocado oil
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tsp vinegar or fresh lemon juice
3. Grease or line with parchment a loaf pan
5. Grate Zucchini into a large bowl, lined with a tea towel. Use towel to squeeze zucchini dry.
7. Stir ground flax or chia and water, set aside until it thickens to an egg-like consistency
9. Add 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to your non-dairy milk (this creates a non-dairy buttermilk) set aside
11. Add maple syrup, oil, and vanilla to to the vegan buttermilk and stir
13. Mix or sift dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda)
15. Add your flax/chia egg to your vegan buttermilk mixture
17. Fold in drained, shredded zucchini
19. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until combined.
21. Do not over stir
23. Pour into the greases/lined loaf pan
25. Bake for 50-60 minutes depending on your oven setting, insert toothpick to ensure it is baked through
27. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning bread out of pan
29. Keeps on counter top for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freezes well.